Saturday, November 28, 2009

Getting the Christmas Decorations Up

I decided a few years ago that I needed to make sure my children understand the real reason for Christmas, so every year after I dig all the boxes of Christmas decorations out, I pull out the Nativity Scene first and have the kids help me put it out. We put the stable out first, then Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus. I ask the kids who they are and why they are important and it always makes me so happy when they remember who everyone is and can tell me the real story of why we have Christmas. Here is Kayden helping. Jack taking a turn. He couldn't remember Joseph's name so I was giving him a hint by saying "jo..." and he was so proud and said "Joe!" Well, maybe some people called him Joe!
And Kyle knew right who Baby Jesus was. I bought this Nativity Scene for the kids to play with, it plays music and they love it. It's fun to listen to them play with it and talk about Baby Jesus being born in the barn.
This year I let them all help put up the other Nativity set, which I usually don't let them touch since it is breakable, but they did a good job. I appreciated their help, but mom finished the rest of the decorating by myself, or it might take me weeks to do it with my helpers!

No comments: